There are some self care measures you could take to reduce the discomfort the veins can cause. These measures also will prevent or slow the development of varicose veins. These measures include:
- Exercise – Walking is the ideal way to improve the circulation in the legs.
- Watch your weight and your diet – Weight reduction by shedding off extra Kg. takes unnecessary pressure off your veins. Have a low-salt diet to prevent swelling caused from water retention.
- Watch what you wear – Avoid high heels. Flat shoes work calf muscles more which is better for your varicose veins. Avoid wearing tight clothes around your waist, legs or groin. They could compress the veins and up the leg and worsen your varicose veins.
- Elevate your legs – Take several short breaks daily to elevate your legs above the level of your heart. This improves the circulation in your legs. Lie down and elevate your legs on 3-4 pillows.
- Avoid long periods of sitting or standing – Change your position frequently to encourage the blood flow. Try to walk every 30 minutes or so.
- Do not sit with your legs crossed – This position could increase circulation problems.