How are they treated?
This depends upon the following factors:
- Location of the aneurysm
- Size of the aneurysm
- Symptoms they are causing
- Blockage of the artery due to blood clots.
What are the various treatment options?
A. Open surgery
- Primary aneurysm repair
- Bypass surgery
- Ligation of the aneurysm
B. Endovascular surgery
- Stenting across the aneurysm
- Coils within the aneurysm
- Blockage of the inflow and outflow with coils
What are a false aneurysm and how are they treated?
These occur due to injury to the artery. The commonest cause is puncturing of the artery (femoral or radial) during angiograms and angioplasty. They have the same presentation as that of a true aneurysm given above. They are treated by ultrasound-guided compression or endovascular stenting or open surgery where primary repair is done but sometimes a bypass may be needed.